Community Alert: Residential Burglaries in the Lincolnwood AreaOctober 12, 2011
About These Crimes:
Residential Burglaries (Offenders entering homes while residents are away and stealing property) are occurring at an increased rate, particularly in the Lincolnwood/East Lincolnwood Area. Most of these incidents are taking place during the daytime and early evening hours. Offenders look for homes where nobody appears to be home: they may knock on the door to confirm this. The offenders then force entry into the home, usually through a back door or window on the back of the house. They remove property, including televisions, electronics, jewelry, video games, and money.
- 200 Block of Early- Oct. 10, 2011
- 300 Block of Herndon- Oct. 8, 2011
- 300 Block of Springfield- Oct. 2, 2011
- 200 Block of Berry- Sept. 19, 2011
- 200 Block of Hickory- Sept. 6, 2011
- 300 Block of New Salem- August 28, 2011
- 400 Block of New Salem- Aug. 15, 2011
- 100 Block of Larue- July 15, 2011
- 300 Block of Early-July 4, 2011
Several Offenders have been arrested, but others remain. They are generally:
- Teenage males and females
- In the area during daytime hours when teens should be in school
- Driving in a vehicle, dropped off, and then vehicle leaves
- Re-entering the vehicle a block or so away after committing the crime
What You Can Do:
- Report any suspicious people, particularly if they are seen knocking on your door or your neighbors’ doors.
- Pay special attention to anyone loitering in the area or unusual vehicles in the area.
- Be aware of the incidents and alert your neighbors to be watchful.
- Make your home appear occupied: lights on in the evening, cars in the driveway.
- Lock your doors and windows, including garage doors and windows: several incidents involved residents leaving their doors unlocked.
- Utilize your home alarm system if equipped.
If you have information regarding these incidents, or information about any criminal activity, call the Park Forest Police Department at (708) 748-4701.